Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm Going to Japan!

     I got some very exciting news in my mailbox, in March.  I'm going to Japan!  A letter from the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund teacher program, which I applied for back in December, told me that I'd been chosen for their program.  I will get to travel to Japan for three weeks in October, with a group of 160 teachers and school administrators from all over the United States.  There are at least two teachers chosen from every state, and the District of Columbia, in our group.  

     While in Japan, we will be guests of the Japanese government.  They invite us to Japan to learn about their country, and then share what we learn with our students and communities, so that Americans and Japanese can better understand each other's cultures and customs. I think it's really wonderful of Japan to do all this for American teachers, don't you?  What an awesome way to say "Let's be friends!"

     First we will go to Tokyo, the capital of Japan, where we will stay in a big hotel.  After a short tour of the city, we will attend lectures and demonstrations about Japanese culture and education for several days.

     Next, our big group of 160 teachers will be divided into 10 smaller groups of 16 teachers each. Each smaller group will be sent to visit a different city.  During our stay in this city, we will spend one day each visiting an elementary school, a middle school, a high school, a university, and a factory.  Each of us will also be sent to spend a day or two as a guest in the home of a Japanese family.
  
     The city that I will be going to is called Sanyo Onoda, Yamaguchi.  Sanyo Onoda is the name of the city.  Yamaguchi is the name of the prefecture.  A prefecture in Japan is like a state in our country.  I am very excited about staying in the home of a Japanese family.  I wonder about who the family will be.  Will they have children?  What will their house be like?  How will it be like an American home, and how will it be different? 

     I started this blog as a way to share the journey with my the Christ Methodist Day School family of students, parents, and teachers.  I am learning everything I can about Japan from books and websites, before I go.  As I learn, I will share interesting facts on this blog, in the days leading up to my trip.  If you learn something about Japan on your own that you think would I should put on the blog, let me know!

  Once I leave for Japan, I will use this blog to share my travels with you.  I will write about each day's experiences, and post pictures to show you what I'm seeing and doing.  Check here to learn something new about Japan each day!