Monday, October 13, 2008

From San Francisco

I was honored to meet Mr. Yasumasa Nagamine, Japanese Consul General


JFMF teachers at the Japanese Consul General's residence.

I am sitting in the San Francisco airport, awaiting our flight to Japan.  
Yesterday I flew to Chicago and then to San Francisco in the morning, and went to an orientation meeting (with the other 157 teachers who are going with me on this trip) all afternoon.  It was fun to meet all the other teachers.  There are at least 2 from every state.  There are 4 of us from Tennessee.  
My favorite part of the flight was when we flew over the mountains.  Look at a map and see which mountain range lies between Chicago and San Francisco.  They are the tallest mountains in the lower 48 states of the United States.  They were dusted with snow.  I have been camping in these mountains, and have seen how beautiful they are from the ground; but seeing them from above was amazing, because I could really see their shape, all together, and how wide the mountain range is.  It made me think about pioneers crossing them in covered wagons.  It is a good thing the pioneers couldn't see these mountains from above, because I think they would have just given up and stayed in the East!
Last night we were honored to be invited to a reception at the official residence of the Japanese Consul General in San Francisco.  He made a short speech, to welcome us.  He is a very gracious man, and made all of us feel at home.  His house overlooks San Francisco bay, and we could see the Golden Gate bridge, and Alcatraz, from his veranda.  After a few more short speeches, we had a buffet of Japanese food, with sushi and many other good things that I don't know the names of.
In 10 more hours I will be in Japan.  I am so excited!  
Sayonara for now.  Keep reading lots of good books while I'm gone!
Ms. Gray