Friday, October 17, 2008

Pets

This woman is walking her long-haired dachshund on the streets of Sanyo Onoda.  This is the same breed as my dog, Shadow, but a different color -- my dog is black and tan.  

Question of the Day, Oct. 17

Q: What kind of pets do they have? (Olivia)

A: According to a Japanese man who went to dinner with us on our first night in Tokyo, and whose job is selling pet insurance (so he knows the statistics), 50% of pet owners in Japan have dogs and 50% have cats.  He didn't mention other types of pets, so I don't know if guinea pigs, birds, etc. are also common.  I'll try to ask and find out when I get to the smaller city and have a chance to talk to more Japanese teachers and students.  So far, the types of dogs I have seen in Tokyo include a labrador retriever, a poodle, and a dachshund.  The lab was at the airport, and he was being used by customs inspectors to sniff people's suitcases, so he must have been trained to sniff out drugs.